Blog Archive

Monday 22 February 2010

Catch Up - August, September 2009





Wow, I know this is way overdue, I reassure you that I had every intention of completing this much sooner! Before the end of last year actually, but things got really hectic and then tragically my Dad passed away at the beginning of this year! :0(


Better late than never right? Just wanted to keep you all update before I started posting the newer blogs on the up and coming EP.... yes I'll say it again EP!! lol


Anyway, enough of the waffling .. let"s get started ... Here we go:


August 2009


9th Aug 2009 -


LIVE Radio Interview ’The Keepin It Movin Radio Show’ with Gus Hall on BANG radio


So Gus Hall had been trying to get me in for an interview for ages ... literally months! The thing is, I didn't feel like I was ready for another radio interview just yet. But this was the right time, as it was a very busy period for myself with the gigs etc.

I spoke about myself, my project and my view on the music industry in general. Gus was very easy to talk to and I really enjoyed the interview.





I was able to perform 2 acoustic songs, written and composed by myself. Ed Riches on guitar alongside me and my vocals, some great vibes up in the studio.


After the interview, I had a hell of a task trying to record a few jingles (especially as there were 3 people (Gus, Ed and Cousin Ziad) in the recording booth, pulling faces whilst I was trying to be serious). I think this was the best part of the day, as we couldn't stop laughing!


Gus Hall, thanks for having me, it was great fun! We will do this again some time in the near future. x



12th Aug 2009


The Spotlight Session (Introducing Quality Music) @ The Underbelly. Hoxton Sq


Yay, another show with my band ... This was a really fun night. I must say that I have some crazy people in my band (crazy in a great way :0)) ..



Line up for the night:


Guitar : Martin Anderson

Bass : Ed Riches

Cajon / Percussion : Terron Murray

Backing Vocals : Shakka Phillips (did I mention he has a mixtape .. free to download? FREE MIXTAPE )






This was my first time performing at this venue ... It had a nice chilled vibe and I liked the little stage. We had a short interview after the show. Here is a clip I found on youtube .. You can see how crazy this bunch really are!! ... (well nearly)







One funny thing I do remember, when introducing the band on stage .. calling almost everyone 'Martin'. You can only imagine how much stick these guys gave me at the end of the show... The joke was on me I guess. Oh Happy Days xxx


15th Aug 2009


The Mix @ Burgess Park & Raison D’Etre @ HootANanny





I was really excited about this day, not just because I would be performing at 2 amazing events, but to the fact that I would be performing with so many amazing artists!


Here is some info about The Mix:


"The Mix, a celebration of young people across Southwark, began life in 2008 showcasing the best performances, art, poetry, sports and carnival from hundreds of young people in the area.


The Mix 2009 continues this celebration by bringing to the stage the massive amount of creativity, innovation, talent and passion of Southwark’s younger community. The stages are shared by some of the very best performers with traditional songs to crowd pleasing anthems, and different spaces across the site highlight the many varied projects and initiatives there are for young people to get involved with. Whether it’s DJ’ing, street dance, creative writing or sports, the have a go sessions led by professionals will get you being creative and active."



There were many different areas at this event. Here is a little information about what did happened and where it took place (Taken from the following source QYPE ) :



THE MIX STAGE


Headlining this stage will be Bashy and Ghetts, plus a combination of local artists discovered through our auditions and professionals. Indie, hip-hop, blues, soul, grim and rock will all be showcased on this truly mixed up stage. This stage is totally programmed by our young people’s steering group.



LIVE FASHION SHOW


The Mix stage in a lively and innovative stage show


LIVE 'N’ UP MARQUEE
This more intimate space will bring a different sound to The Mix. Filled with the sounds of jazz, funk, hip-hop, dub and mashed up poetry, this special place sees performances from groups and individuals across Southwark and the odd open mic slot. Come down and show us what you’ve got.


GETFIT MIX
Southwark Community Games - slam dunkin, spin bowling, high jumping and looking to find the fastest teenager in Southwark…watch out Usain Bolt.


British Heart Foundation 'Stay healthy tent’ hosts a whole range of activities to keep your heart healthy.


A MIXED BAG
A series of four very different exhibitions looking at Manga art, fine art and a special touring heritage exhibition.


CINEMIX


Flix, our young people’s film group, have programmed a series of short film created by young people across Southwark. Interspersed with performances this temporary cinema shines a light on our area.


SOUTHWARK YOUTH CARNIVAL
This is the ninth year of Southwark’s Youth Carnival and will be taking place on Saturday, August 15 and is being put together with the help of Kinetika Bloco. The carnival procession will be concluding at The Mix in Burgess Park.








I was blessed to perform on the Live 'N' Up Marquee stage. Also very blessed to have worked alongside the following amazing artists:


Natalie Phillips - Singer Song-Writer (Nu-Jazz, Soul) myspace

Phebe Edwards - Singer Song-Writer (Gospel) myspace

Ella - Singer

John Jackson - Drums

Steve Yarde - Bass

Dave Goody - Keys

Martin Anderson - Guitar


We all had out own sets, Natalie, Phebe, Ella and Myself, supported by the house band. After my set, I performed alongside Self-Taught and Short-Man - performing the single 'Where I Wanna Be', as Terri Walker was not able to make it down.


Check out the single on the following link:





Mercury Award winner for 2009 'Speech Debelle' also performed with her own band. It was a great show overall!





Raison D'Etre @ The HootANanny - Brixton

Ok, so I became a member of the Raison D'Etre Collective back in Jun 2009. This was my first performance at one of the Raison D'Etre nights and was a great experience. I did a small acoustic set with Martin Anderson, we hadn't done in a while! We even got an encore :o)(toot, toot raise the roof lol)!! It was great fun jamming with Martin, our second gig of the day.

Link for: Raison D'Etre Collective


I do miss these acoustic gigs ... I think I will be doing a lot more in the future! Here are few pictures on the night before the performance. Not camera shy at all *wink* *wink* lol.








Enjoy xx




August Overview ....

Somewhere in between these gigs, I managed to travel up to Manchester and get some work done with Zed Bias. We worked on a track for his up and coming album and also one of mine. I remember skanking to a few of his tunes back in the day! One of my favourite "Neighborhood" ... Big tune & still sounds great today! He has some great tracks on this new album .... look out for it .. There is an amazing track he did with Omar! You've all gotta love Omar! :0)


Overall Great Month, Great People xxx


September


3rd September 2009 - Soul House @ Dogstar, Brixton


So another live music night ... This was my only performance this month, as I was feeling a little burnt out! A stripped down set with just Guitar (Martin Anderson) and Cajon (Terron Murray). Quite a chilled out vibe overall, I felt really laid back. I believe this was the 2nd night of this new event! Look out for this one, they have had some amazing acts performing.




September Overview .....


So apart from this one gig in september, I decided to take some time out to rest and get back to writing. It's kinda hard when you have work a 9 am -5 pm as well as doing back to back shows. I just knew I had to give myself a little more time to recharge my batteries. Looking ahead, October was going to be a very, very busy month! But it's all good .. This is what I love to do!


I also managed to get in the studio, writing with Neil Pierce and Chris Samba. These tracks will be released sometime this 2010 ... I'm hoping they will be club bangers!! Watch that space .. Wish me luck xxx



http://www.chrissamba.com/
Look out for the Oct, Nov and Dec 09 blogs coming up shortly xxx


Peace n Luv


KK xxx

No comments: